Fruit Fence planters are clip-on planters for city fences, tailored especially for growing fruit. The planters integrate with a web-based service that allows for community logging and distributed care of a small urban orchard.
The low-cost bags are made from Tyvek, and contain an internal self-watering wicking system.
- Use existing city structures Clip a planter to a chain-link fence and grow fruits vertically, in spaces that would normally be inactive, or even ugly.
- City Fruits for City Microclimates We recommend starting out with easy-to-grow fruits that do well in containers and do not make a big mess at harvest time.
- Easy Pattern The Fruit Fence Bags can be sewn with a normal sewing machine and moderate sewing skill. A good project for beginning stitchers.
- Community Care via Social Media We offer a Twitter-based system for community caring for shared fruit planters. Mobile Text-based services planned for future.
- Low-cost Materials Tyvek and plants are the main cost. Add some digital accessories to your project for added fun.
- Transparent Food Production A printable surface allows the community effort of fruit care to be more educational. The more we understand about fruiting plants, the better we can advocate for stronger regional fruit production
- Self-watering system A self-watering system can be watered from the outside. Watering the plant indirectly helps to protect the health of the plant, which can be maintained by a community of volunteers.
Project by Chacha Sikes